October 13, 2008

Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer

I am having a mostly enjoyable time reading Jane Austen fan fiction (I decided to start a collection to accompany my complete works of Jane Austen) but having read Pamela Aiden's series of Pride & Prejudice from Darcy's perspective first, I can state positively that this version by Janet Aylmer is almost lifeless. The story is more explanatory and observational of his experiences than how Darcy may having been thinking and/or feeling emotionally at the time. It is a good attempt but sounds like an essay, so I would invest in the Aiden series first instead of spending your time and money on this version. Ok, so maybe I am being too harsh (feel free to debate with me!), as I was also harsh with Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, but where at least CJAA was entertaining this effort did not seem inspired in any way. 

My Rating: 2.0

2 comments:

  1. It's too bad this book wasn't very good. The cover looks good. :). But I've never had much luck with Jane Austen fanfiction "sequels" (I wrote a scathing review of one of Linda Berdoll's books a little while ago), so I'm not surprised by your rating of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I habe not been impressed much by Jane Austen fan fiction either although I really enjoyed Pamela Aiden's series.

    ReplyDelete