October 20, 2008

The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton

Meg Waite Clayton has written a well researched, cleverly woven story of 5 women, Frankie, Linda, Kath, Brett and Ally, who first meet each other at a park in front of their homes, and subsequently discover each have a dream of writing. They make a pact to meet once a week to help critique each other’s scribbles and over 4 decades they support each other through turmoil and success, with an enduring loyalty to their sisterhood.

The Wednesday Sisters inspired in me a yearning to have such a sisterhood of my own. The author speaks to the loneliness and wish for accomplishment, friendship and personal growth that is present in all of us. Though the story starts in the late 1960s the themes of self-discovery, dreams, prejudices, and disappointments are familiar no matter what era you live in. Weaved into the story Clayton also confronts many stereotypical ideas of the time related to gender, race, and science, an admirable and bold literary effort. This is a book I never knew I wanted to read but was waiting for to find me.
My Rating: 4.0

No comments:

Post a Comment